AWN’s primary school programme was launched in 2012. It is approved by the Ministry of Education and is available to primary schools throughout Trinidad and Tobago. The programme delivers a short, enriched presentation to three different age groups (5-7, ages 8-10, and ages 11-12).
The presentation helps children understand the needs and care of animals, and encourages the development of empathy and compassion.
Children participating in the programme learn to:
- Identify the “Five Freedoms” of animal welfare.
- Understand animals have feelings and begin to empathize with those feelings.
- List ways in which we can care for companion animals.
- Demonstrate safe behavior when approached by a dog.
- Identify ways in which we can help the stray population in Trinidad and Tobago.
Children are also provided with activity books at the end of the session to reinforce learning and get the message into their homes.
Since its beginning over 2000 children have participated in our programme.
You can learn more about our education programme in this video.
If you want your class to participate in our education programme, please contact us.
Once the necessary permission is obtained from your School’s principal, an AWN representative will schedule, organise and coordinate the session with school representatives